Southland Industries is an MEP building systems firm that provides innovative, yet practical engineering, construction, service, building automation, and energy solutions. For almost 65 years, we have been optimizing each stage of the building lifecycle with our in-house expertise and improving how buildings are designed, built, and maintained. We are currently a 450 million dollar company with ambitious growth plans! We are currently looking for an Electrical Design Engineer in our Dulles, VA office!
Check out our video to see what it is like to
If you’re someone with a true passion for our industry, we’re looking for you! At Southland, we seek people that don’t just follow a career path, but blaze their own. People who want to apply innovation to their problem solving and embrace the concept of full collaboration between disciplines work at Southland. We appreciate the spirit of integrity and entrepreneurialism with which our people act, and have learned that the more opportunity we allow our employees, the greater the results. Each part of our business is interconnected and requires input from others, which has led to the collaborative setting from which we thrive. Join our team and become a part of an organization that values work-life balance, community, and exceptional quality of work.
Electrical Design Engineer
- Perform light fixture and device layouts.
- Perform branch circuiting design on plans and schedules.
- Perform fire alarm initiating and notification device layouts.
- Preparation of electrical and fire alarm support sheets such as cover sheets, riser diagrams, schedules, details, and sequence matrices.
- Coordinate electrical service requirements for equipment of other trades and consultants via drawing and cut-sheet inspection.
- Perform calculations for projects, such as lighting illuminance, electrical loads, equipment selection and sizing, feeder sizing, energy calculations, voltage drop calculations, short circuit/coordination studies, etc.
- Perform pre-design site surveys to record existing conditions and determine project constraints for new design.
- Perform site construction verification visits to determine compliance with construction documents and resolves design issues during the construction phase.
- Responsible for Code Compliance of designs and tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering Electrical Emphasis
- Five or more years’ experience in related field preferred
- EIT/FE required. PE preferred
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Knowledge of electrical design to include types of equipment utilized as well as thorough understanding of electrical system layouts
- Ability to communicate effectively with project team members, including project management, BIM personnel, other trade engineers/designers, and clients
- Ability to read and understand construction documents of all trades
- Competent in computer skills to include CADD, REVIT, and Microsoft Office products (specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel.)
- The employee must have the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documentation including CADD drawings, Blueprints, Submittals, etc.
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with 50% Company Match (no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses