Since 1955, Nicholson Construction Company has been setting the industry standard for performance and technical innovation in geotechnical construction. We have built our reputation by performing the highest quality work and providing the most innovative solutions on the widest range of demanding and high profile projects. Nicholson is part of a global network of unparalleled geotechnical resources and expertise, specializing in deep foundations, earth retention, ground treatment and ground improvement.
Prepare portions of estimates for one or more specific techniques related to specialty foundation construction
including the determination of applicable project plans and specifications.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work, attend pre-bid meetings, conduct site visits, interact with operations staff to develop work approach, prepare quantity takeoffs and input data into computerized estimating software (HCSS Heavy Bid)
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Work directly with staff and operations department on completing various project estimates and documentation
- Manage the available bid time to insure accurate and timely preparation of a assigned portion of estimate.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimates figures including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Organize and detail the estimate so that it can be easily understood for review purposes and efficiently turned over to field personnel
- Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts and productivity analysis reports, etc. into current estimates
- Ensures estimate accuracy to the maximum extent reasonable and achievable
- Maintain the highest standards of professionalism, fairness and ethical behavior when representing Nicholson to clients, engineers, vendors, and partners
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide ranging climates and environments
- Travel is required for this role
Education & Training:
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Construction Engineering or equivalent degree and experience.
- 3 or more years estimating experience,
- Cost Control and/or Project Engineering/Management experience related to heavy highway or heavy industrial construction projects
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge and expertise of geotechnical construction a plus
- Advanced knowledge of estimating techniques and cost control, plus ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems essential.
- Software skills to include: HCSS Heavy Bid, Excel, PowerPoint, Word (Microsoft office)
- Lift, carry, pull and push at least 40 pounds
- Travel per the company travel policy, sometimes overnight and away from home
- Able to concentrate at a high degree in a busy and noisy construction environment
- Converse effectively using both verbal and written communication.
- Make decisions and assume accountability
- Concentrate on tasks
- Demonstrate ability to manage stress and emotions as related to the workplace
- Attention to detail
- Identify and resolve conflict
- Assess safety and risk
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Safe Harbor Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation
- Personal days
- Sick days
Nicholson Construction participates in E-Verify
Please be advised that all interested candidates are REQUIRED to attach a copy of your resume in order to be considered.
In an effort to foster a diverse workforce Nicholson Construction encourages applications from minorities, veterans, women and individuals with disabilities. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese